Friday, June 1, 2007

Dateline: St. Louis

(EP)-- Catholic Writers has uncovered another unknown and worthy literary society. It is called the T.S. Eliot Society, and it is devoted to studying the work of amazing American poet T.S. Eliot (a St. Louis native, if I recall his bio from my Philosophy of Literature class). Eliot's The Wasteland was the most eloquent portrayal of modern atheism. His Four Quartets could be interpreted as his Anglican answer to The Wasteland.

A pop culture note on Eliot: the Crash Test Dummies' '90's hit Afternoons and Coffee Spoons was a reinterpretation of the Lovesongs of J. Alfred Prufrock.

Another random note. I had the privilege to take several worthwhile literature courses while at Notre Dame. I'll have to blog more about Philosophy of Literature--I signed up believing I'd be studying Dante's Cantos with medieval maven Eleanor Stumpf. On Day One, I walked in [in red plaid shirt and ripped jeans, like all the other disaffected nirvana-era philo majors] to meet Wes Kirkpatrick, disaffected atheist grad student and the best interpreter of modern literature I have yet met. Everyone in the class loved him because he would not allow us to dismiss serious questions with airy platitudes about "making a difference," "changing the world," "progress of history," and other foolish nineteen year old notions that poor writers carry with them into their careers.

If Jesus is the answer, we must be able to ask, "What was the question?" Remind me to search through the boxes of college notes...

In the meantime, here's the TS Eliot Society.
http://www.luc.edu/eliot/index.htm

No comments: